Sunday 13 March 2016

The Wife's Duty


I will be getting married soon and I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Excited as I'm going to marry someone special to me and nervous because I really want this marriage to last forever. And no marriage comes easy, like W said its a journey filled with 'good' and 'not so good' parts. We have to learn to enjoy the good parts together and also overcome difficulties together.

I've always imagined the day I put on the ring, I thought I will be elated, excited and I wouldn't be able to stop staring at the sparkly diamond. It was true when it happened, but the ring felt heavy. No, it wasn't the weight of the diamond but the obligations that came with it. Its real and its serious.I need to do my best for this man, and him asking me for my hand meant that he will do his best for me too.

With a new goal and entering a whole new chapter in my life, I thought it will be good and useful to read more about it haha! I went to google "Wife's duties" and I found a website that explains the duties of the wife from the bible.

I am not a Christian but I think its filled with plenty of practical truths and principles in sustaining a marriage.

And these quotes gave me an understanding to the wife's role in a marriage.

God did not give you a husband for you to still be an independent single woman. He gave you a husband so that you could partner with him, helping him by using your gifts, your skills, and your abilities that He has blessed you with, for the betterment of the whole household.
I can't agree more. Husband and wife must work as a team. Complementing each other, using each other strengths, covering each other weaknesses for the better. And communication is key, the couple has to know each other well enough to work as a team. And I should always remember that I am no longer an independent single woman, my actions should not reflect that anymore - it should be for the team.


You may be a bed partner, you may be a cook, you may be this and you may be that, but a good wife seeks the good of her husband all the days of his life. That is, just as he is loving and honoring and cherishing you, you are to wake up and ask, “What good can I be to him today?”
Its not just being a wife and doing what you are expected to do. But being a wife to the man you love and giving him the best - everyday.


Never let the outside pull of the world keep you from being a dynamic wife and mother. Never let the schedule outside dictate the schedule inside.
All about priorities. Family first.

I also read 'The Husband's Duty' to understand his role. (Get your man to read this!!!)

The first duty of a man to his woman, or a husband to his wife, is to love her. Now, you might say, "Well, that goes without saying! Move on to number two!" Your wife probably wants me to stay at number one. Because, often, what goes under the name of love has little to do with love. The word 'love' has become a misunderstood word. For example, people say, "I love my job. I love my home. I love chocolate cake." Generally what they are talking about is what those things do for them. "The home makes me comfortable. The cake satisfies my sweet tooth. The work satisfies my desire for a career." The word 'love' has become a word to describe the lusts of the flesh, and nothing more.

You see, when the scripture talks about love, it talks about the sacrifice that you make for the betterment of someone else. You can only measure love by your sacrifice, not by your enjoyment. If you talk about loving your wife, and you mean by that that she does a lot of good things for you, that's not love. That's her loving you. To say that a man loves his wife is to talk about the sacrifice that you make for her.

You can only measure love by your sacrifice, not your enjoyment.

I also remember one of LKY's quote:

You either have the Western view – you marry the woman you love, or the Eastern view – you love the woman you marry. Well, I tried to match both, and I think it wasn’t a bad choice.

Love the one you marry. During our grandparents era where most marriages were arranged, it seemed to me that those marriages never end. Through thick and thin, together till old. Of course they will be differences, but leaving each other never seemed to be an option. Tolerance, patience and compromise were frequently practised.

After all, it still takes two hands to clap. I think communication is important, talk to each other, share your values and goals. Put effort in understanding one another and be grateful that you found each other and never take the love/ sacrifices for granted.

Long journey ahead and I hope I will be able to do my duties well!

With Love,
G

No comments:

Post a Comment