Tuesday 15 March 2016

Wedding Planners: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly!


It has been quite a process trying to get pass the first step - choosing the wedding venue. We've seen a handful of venues that we shortlisted and I have been in touch with various Wedding Planners from a couple of places.

I always thought good about Wedding Planners. And boy, I've met a handful of them and there's some who really needs some extra coaching from the hotel.

I love planners who are on the ball and make an effort to find out what we needed, our constraints and offer solutions to help us decide on their venue. I absolutely loathe planners who are pushy and incompetent in many ways.

There were two planners who could really use some help. Pushy Planner - not sure if you are trying to close your last deal for the year or the first for yourself, but I'll appreciate it if you keep you hunger to yourself, at least make an effort to. Cause your client can feel it. And its a nasty experience to be honest. Follow up at the right time and make the effort to understand (or at least pretend to) the constraints and why we can't decide on your venue right away.

To Promise-Breaker Planner. Don't make empty promises to your clients. Don't make statements and not deliver cause your client is watching and waiting for you to deliver it on time. I met this planner on a Friday with the highest hope of receiving answers on queries I had, she told me she will email me by the next day (Saturday) - which I never received. I gave her a call on Monday, afraid that she sent to a wrong email without knowing. But no, she told me she's trying to get the answers herself too (oh wow, let me know at least that you are trying?), ok forget it. I asked her when will I get the answers if thats the case, she said by the end of the day. Cool, I could wait for that, but that email didn't arrive at all. We tried to get in touch with her in the evening but we couldn't reach her (via office and mobile number). And the email came the next morning without any apologies for the delay...thats like what T+3 (I kindly excluded Sunday else its T+4)? Why was a promise made for T+1 in full confidence then? By the way the email was important, the answers to my queries will lead us to a decision almost right away. She really left me quite baffled with the level of service, totally unexpected from a beautiful hotel. Well, she did make my decision-making easier. I guess I'll drop the venue.

I rather settle for a my second choice with a competent planner who has done a pretty neat job for us so far.

I've been in the client-facing industry, and I tend to cut some slack for my service providers. My gf used to tell me I should scream to get what I want - totally opposite and I know its highly effective, but its just not me. If it doesn't kill me, I won't go on the offensive, I rather walk away and use my time to find something else that makes me happier and just forget about the unhappy experience. Haha, ok point is my threshold for lousy service is high and these 2 planners still managed to get into my nerves for me to write about them here. I'll be in touch with the hotels for the 2 bad and 1 good planner to feedback on their service and probably do a simple star-rated review for the venues for easy reference for everyone!

I hope we can move pass this stage really soon!

With Love,
G

No comments:

Post a Comment