Tuesday 13 March 2018

Scoliosis and I

I may have not shared this before in this space but I have Scoliosis! This medical condition of mine was discovered during a routine health check in primary school. Instead of having a straight spine like most people, my spine was "S" shaped!

After countless visits to the orthopaedic and X-rays, it was decided that I would have to go through treatments to correct my curved spine. As I was growing rapidly as a child, an uncorrected curved spine could possibly lead to a punctured lung. Imagine a healthy growing spine would grow vertically but mine essentially would grow sideways creating a big fat "S" shape!

It was initially discussed for me to possible start the treatment with a back brace. However, within a short span of time my curvatures got worst and we were told that a surgery was required to get my spine fixed. And so I went through a spinal fusion surgery.

I spent a week at the hospital (I was 5cm taller after the surgery by the way!) and was exempted from physical activities for two years. But that didn't keep me from being active. I tried everything when I got the go ahead to get physical! I ran, I high jumped, I tried roller blading, etc. I didn't feel I was different from my friends except that I got this really long scar (shoulder to waist) running down my back.

Honestly, the scar, the medical condition didn't affected me one bit. Why should I let this episode change who I was meant to be? Life has so much more for me to explore than to wallow in self-pity or negative thoughts. My condition didn't limit me in many ways except I was rejected by Singapore Airlines when I failed their medical test (due to scoliosis) during my application to be a cabin crew.

I won't deny that I was slightly disappointed but it was probably for the better! Being a cabin crew is physically demanding, I may not be the best candidate and I accepted that fact. I went on to work in the banking industry and I loved every part of it too!

It was during this time that I started developing soreness and lower back pain. I could conveniently blame it on "scoliosis" but to be honest...I hardly exercise then, I wore a lot of heels, I walked and sat a lot. Even a healthy person with no back problems would probably also develop some sort of backaches with a lifestyle like that!

I started practising yoga with a private teacher around two years ago and guess what? The occurrences of my usual lower back pain lessened. Even husband noticed the major improvement cause obviously I whine much lesser these days. 

I believe it's really important for anyone with scoliosis to pick out a suitable workout regime to maintain a healthy back. Even people with normal spines would experience some sort of backaches without proper care let alone us, the special ones! 

With ,
Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment